Views

Thursday 29 May 2014

Warlands Lane Estate progress

I have today uploaded my interim objections to the Planning Department. 

I wish to register my objection to this Planning Application on the following grounds:

Since the site is a green-field, need has to be established. The Shalfleet Parish Council's 'Sustainable Housing Survey' dated May 2013 was used by the Applicant to justify need. I have taken some professional advice but require further information from SPC, who have been uncooperative. I submitted a Freedom Of Information request to the SPC on 23rd May and on 27th May received a response that shows a lack of understanding of FOI requests and I am having to re-iterate the request. There has, therefore, been insufficient time for me to provide a detailed critique of the Sustainable Housing Survey however I can state with confidence that the survey is so deeply flawed that it cannot be acceptable for establishing need to build a large housing estate on this green-field site with all of the consequential issues that affect the residents and locality.  

From the Clerk's reply it appears that the final survey has never been reviewed by a person qualified and competent in that field.


I object to this proposal because:

a) There is no proven need for the development. The Applicant refers to the Sustainable Housing Survey produced by the Shalfleet Parish Council to justify need. I have taken professional advice and from the information already in the public domain the document appears deeply flawed. Furthermore, there have been two public meetings called by the Shalfleet Parish Council and at both meetings every member of the public present* stated that they did not believe that the survey report reflected either their views or the views of the Parish. I have placed a Freedom Of Information request with the Parish Council to obtain the necessary raw data to determine exactly what the situation is. The information is not available at the time of writing this comment, placed at the limit of the period allowed for comments.

If permitted, and when I have the information from my FOI request, I will submit another comment to the Planning Department.

* At both of the public meetings one person came forward to express an interest in an Affordable House (i.e. two people in total). Neither of those people had any understanding of what 'affordable' means and it seems likely that neither would be able to obtain one of these homes. We have yet to find one person or family who either wants one of these homes or, if they did, could conceivably afford one. That must surely indicate 'need' more accurately than any survey since if the homes built are not affordable to those who would live there, there is no need to build them.

b) This is yet another attempt by property developers to build a large housing estate on green field land, urbanising the pretty rural nature of the Parish of Shalfleet. Building along this road will by itself make Shalfleet look like the tail of a dog; inevitably the green fields down to the Shalfleet Primary School will be urbanised. If there was real justifiable need, that would be different but I challenge anyone to show any need.

c) Other objectors have raised many technical issues which would clearly be hard to overcome without huge extra cost - increasing the cost of the homes, of course.

d) I concur completely with the Shalfleet Parish Council's objections.

e) I concur completely with the objections submitted by Cllr Helena Hewston, who has a detailed local knowledge as Chair of the Ningwood Residents' Association.

f) I believe that it would be wrong to grant even outline planning consent on the grounds that the need has not yet been established and the detailed technical details (hence costing) has not been carried out. I believe that this is a case where the Planning Authority should reject this application and not consider it until there is available a fully-engineered proposal and need proven.

Tomorrow I will upload the Freedom Of Information Act request and correspondence

No comments:

Post a Comment